[cvsnt] sspi vs. ssh ?!?

Ralf Steinhaeusser stralf at gmx.net
Sat Nov 8 00:01:30 GMT 2003

Hello,

I need to set up a remote access to our companies CVSNT-server which
sits behind a firewall.
>From reading this newsgroup I already know I should configure the
firewall to pass through port 2401 to the server.

And I read that using SSH is not so easy beacuse you have to set up
Cygwin and all commits are assigned not to the users name but to
"system". (we are only 4 developers, still it's stupid not to have the
correct name on a change)

On the other hand I read SSH is most secure.
My question: How insecure is sspi? Does it only use the login-password
(which can be very short) as security?
And is it suitable for my needs? (e.g. will it work if the server sits
behind a router?)

Or is setting up ssh very easy (this section is missing in the doc's I
found) and can this "commit-as-System" - problem be solved easily?

If I forgot any considerations that could be fatal I am glad to get
hints....

Thanks a lot in advance!!!!
Ralf S.