[cvsnt] CVSNT Security using NTFS questions

Jason S Morris jason.morris at intel.com
Wed Nov 12 06:26:59 GMT 2003

I have reviewed Glen Starrett's page on setting ACLS for CVS
repositories on the wiki and have a few questions...

Will adding users to the 'writers' file inside of the CVSROOT module
give those users (listed in the file) commit privileges to ALL modules
in the repository?  By using the 'writers' file, can I specify module
level security?

Assume the following...

- I executed Glen's script
- I HAVE NOT added the 'admin' and/or 'writers' files under the CVSROOT
module
- Have changed Glen's CVSUser group to be Everyone account

After reading the permissions set up by the script, my repositories will
allow Everyone to update and commit files to any module except for the
CVSROOT module.  Am I reading this correctly?

I read the different NTFS Privileges as...

If UserA has Full Control privileges on a file/module, then they have
checkout, update and commit access to the module/file

If UserB only has Read privileges, then UserB can checkout and update
the file, but cannot commit the file.

Is there a difference between Modify privileges and Full Control
privileges in relation to CVSNT security?

If there is somewhere that this information is, please point me to it as
I couldn't find any.

Thanks in advance,
Jason