[cvsnt] CVSNT Security using NTFS questions

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Nov 12 19:47:47 GMT 2003

> Another question I have is what if you have conflicting privileges
> granted between NTFS and the writers file...which permissions will CVS
> use?
>
> Say UserA has RO NTFS permission on a module, however UserA
> is listed in
> the writers file...will UserA be allowed to commit?  How about vice
> versa?

It's an AND relationship.  CVSNT doesn't check the NTFS permissions
directly, it impersonates the user.  If the user is attempting to check in
files, CVSNT does check the writers file.  So both NTFS permissions and the
writers file (if present) need to grant the user the rights to commit
changes.

In your example, CVSNT would try to commit but be stopped by the NTFS
permissions.  Result: denied.

Regards,

Glen Starrett