[cvsnt] CVS non-conflict and conflict merge

Yang, Judy Bin jyang at atsautomation.com
Thu Nov 13 21:14:03 GMT 2003

I am a little confused about the merge in CVS. This is my understanding
about CVS non-conflict and conflict merge.  Please fix me if I am wrong.

Non-conflict merge:
	Both user1 and user2 check out file version 1.2. User1 modify line
5, user2 modify line 6.
	As long as the two users modify different lines, there will be no
conflicts. Users can check in 	changes in any order. After both users have
checked in, the project seamlessly has both changes 	incorporated.
Whoever last check in will get both changes.

Conflict merge:
	Both user1 and user2 check out file version 1.2. They both modify
line 10.
	Whoever last check in will get the conflict Editor, he has to
manually modify the conflicted line.Save 	it and check in. All
non-conflicts still merge seamlessly.

Any discussion is appreciated.