[cvsnt] Feature request unreserved edit

irodriguez perez irodriguezp at cirsa.com
Tue Nov 18 14:54:08 GMT 2003

Ok, at the first time Oliver you are right, replace in my previous
mail anyone for noone. (sorry for my bad english) thanks.

> If that's what's happening for you it is either a bug or you haven't
> checked out the file read-only in the first place. After the commit the
> file should be read-only and unedited (i.e. you no longer get reported
> by cvs editors) again.

Ok, i have investigated if it is a bug. I have checked out the file read-
only in the first place, but if i deactivate in WinCVS
Admin/preferences/Globals Checkout
read-only option then the file is not unedited after the commit. If i
active
this option then the file is unedited automatically after the commit. And
the commit was
made without -c option. So it is not a bug.

> Reserved edit will already fail if the file is edited in /any/ way.

Ok.

> AFAIK CVS(NT) does currently keep no record of how a file was edited
> (reserved or not) so taking the edit mode into account would probably
> require quite fundamental changes...

You are right. I have seen edit.c file in cvsnt repository and i understand
now that this change can require important changes (and fundamental). But
with
this option we will can really deprecatted locks, because at present is
needed
for the unmergeables files (i.e. binaries) and is very difficult to explain
a user
that with a text file he should use edit command but with a binary file he
should
use admin -l command (to prevents the cases when someone forgets the -c
option in
the edit command).

> I don't think so. It's already rather confusing with the two existing
> modes IMO. I don't think it will get any better by introducing a third
> one and furthermore complicate the inner logic of the other two even
> more.

Well, my idea is that in a normal work we will have the reserved edit (cvs
edit -c)
and the unreserved edit (cvs edit -u), and to use force edit option (cvs
edit -f) only in critical cases (i.e. a user that did a reserved edit on a
file and have an accident and he will
not go to the office for days). The default option for edit command would
be unreserved
edit.

This scenario is for reserved checkouts, because with the unreserved
checkouts we
will not use the edit command, (Read-Only option in checkout deactivated).

Thanks.

Nacho.

información CONFIDENCIAL sometida a secreto profesional o cuya divulgación
esté prohibida en virtud de la legislación vigente. Si ha recibido este
mensaje por error, le rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta
misma vía o por teléfono (34 93 739 67 00) y proceda a su destrucción.
Nótese que el correo electrónico vía Internet no permite asegurar ni la
confidencialidad de los mensajes que se transmiten ni la correcta recepción
de los mismos.  En el caso de que el destinatario de este mensaje no
consintiera la utilización del correo electrónico vía Internet, rogamos lo
ponga en nuestro conocimiento de manera inmediata.

information that is CONFIDENTIAL and protected by a professional privilege
or which disclosure is prohibited by law. If this message has been received
in error, please immediately notify us via e-mail or by telephone (34 93
739 67 00) and delete it.
Please note that Internet e-mail does not guarantee the confidentiality or
the proper receipt of the messages sent.  If the addressee of this message
does not consent to the use of Internet e-mail, please communicate it to us
immediately.