[cvsnt] But... (was: No conflict when merging, where one is expected)

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Wed Sep 3 16:13:16 BST 2003

Petr Prikryl wrote:

> But when I remove the file, I can see it as editing
> of all its lines. This way, the edited regions from
> the branch do overlap and it should look like a conflict.

It is only a conflict if the _same_ lines were changed.  CVS always attempts to
merge files automatically and only produces a conflict if it is unable to
determine which change to a file/line should take precedence.  It is trivial to
merge a file on the branch with a missing file on HEAD, so there _is_ no conflict.

> Here one user modified a line and the other user
> deleted it (with the file) -- clearly a conflict from
> user's point of view.

That is not how CVS has ever worked (or any other CMS/VCS system I have used).
If you want to know what changed before you merge, you can either use 'cvs diff'
or use 'cvs -n checkout ...' to see what would change.

You want something else, not conflict resolution...

John