[cvsnt] But... (was: No conflict when merging, where one isexpected)

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Wed Sep 3 18:02:50 BST 2003

> Well, deleting the file is nearly the same as removing all
> lines from it.

My $0.02....  Looking at this from a more code-oriented view, let's walk
through more specific examples.

For all example, assume File A is sourcecode that uses File B.  Perhaps
Dev 1 edited File A and removed all use of File B, then deleted File B
to be tidy.  This was done on MAIN.

** I haven't tested these, but I believe it works this way **

Example 1
==========
Now along comes Dev 2 on their own branch.  They modify File A to use a
new function in B and change B to add that new function.

Merge Dev 2's branch into HEAD, and you WANT File B to be there, since
it is dependent.

How would CVS know to remove B?  It was changed, it needs to be merged
in, it is part of the valid sandbox on the branch that you want brought
into the MAIN.

Example 2
==========
Dev 2 on a branch edits some files, but NOT B.  Since B didn't change
from the merge point, it is not merged into the sandbox and is not
re-added to the HEAD.

Example 3 (possible solution)
==============================
Dev 2 is on a branch and makes some changes to any files out there.
They know they must merge their changes onto MAIN.

They perform the merge on their branch, by merging HEAD to their sandbox
FIRST.  The irrelevant File B is removed from the branch at that point.

Now, when the dev merges to HEAD, File B stays away and everyone is
happy.  I think.

Is this correct?  Would example 3 work the way you want it to?  With
cvsnt's mergepoint processing making this easy I've been doing that
scenario here and it seems to work very nicely, although I haven't tried
it yet with file removal.

Regards,

Glen Starrett