[cvsnt] Latest updates

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Sep 5 21:57:36 BST 2003

> The old code very nicely handled repeated merging from one place
> (branch) to another (mainline).
>
> The new code extends this to allow a merge operation to be performed
> in the opposite direction after having done this.

That's odd--I haven't noticed a problem with that.  Maybe I'm
misunderstanding what you're doing, or maybe I'm already tripping on
myself and didn't notice!

I will use a branch for an extended period of time, like you.  I update
from HEAD too, like you.  Then I update HEAD form my branch to deliver
the code, and then continue developing on the branch.

I use 2 sandboxes to manage my merging, like so (I hope this formatting
gets preserved):

HEAD			BRANCH
Make branch

			work on Fred
			update -jHEAD
			more work on Fred
			update -jHEAD
Update -jb1
			work more on Fred
			update -jHEAD
Update -jb1

I haven't noticed a problem (but I have seen null change updates as you
mentioned).  Granted, not a lot happens on my MAIN outside my DEV branch
at the moment, but that will change once the other devs are delivering
to MAIN as well.  I'm using cvsnt 2.0.8... Did this technology get
slipped in early and I didn't realize?

Regards,

Glen Starrett