[cvsnt] Timestamp problem

Lawson.Reed Reed.Lawson at IGT.com
Mon Sep 8 18:22:34 BST 2003

Hi,

One of our users just showed me something that shocked me.
I was in disbelief at first, but he is right....

If you run update and the file comes over as a patch "P"
then the time stamp on the file is the current time. If its
a "U", then it gets the time stamp of when that version was
created in the archive. Is this normal behavior? (please say no)

This does not seem right to me.

I would expect if I check out a particular version of a file
that the time stamp on the file (in Windows Explorer) would
represent the time it was created in the archive on the server
regardless of how cvs chooses to transport it. The $Header$
keyword displays the time the file was created in the archive.
The Entries file and the File System timestamp agree with
each other, but not the time/date text in the $Header$.

Can someone try this and tell me if they see the same thing?

We are using the latest beta from the WinCVS GUI site 1.3.b13 4/17/03
The cvs version on our server is slightly newer.

  cvs version
  Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.2 (client/server)
  Server: Concurrent Versions System (CVSNT) 2.0.5 (client/server)

Is this my problem? If so, is there a way to update the "cvs"
that WinCVS is using without breaking WinCVS? Or do I need to
downgrade the server to 2.0.2?

Thanks,