[cvsnt] Re: Bug in merging multiple branches

Christian Ottosen cso at mita-teknik.com
Tue Sep 16 06:58:03 BST 2003

Larry Jones replied at the maillist info-cvs-request (after receiving the
RCS file):

"I tried a number of different releases of CVS going back
as far as 1.10 and I cannot reproduce your problem; the merge of Branch2
always merges the changes between 1.2 and 1.2.4.1 just like it should.
I see that your RCS file contains two non-standard phrases:
"permissions", which implies that you're using the extremely buggy CVS
PreservePermissions code, and "commitid", which indicates that you're
using a hacked version of CVS since CVS has never used that phrase.
Perhaps whoever modified CVS to add that phrase also modified (and
broke) the merge logic. I suggest you install the current standard
release of CVS on your server.

-Larry Jones"