[cvsnt] CVSNT File/Directory Permissions

rog amos strategia_cvsnt_rog at yahoo.ca
Fri Sep 19 15:37:30 BST 2003

Thanks for your reply,

my sources are the following

http://www.devguy.com/fp/cfgmgmt/cvs/cvs_admin_nt.htm#NTFSPERM

and
http://betty.magenta-logic.com/cvs/cvs_13.html#SEC13

hope this helps

roger

Glen Starrett <grstarrett at cox.net> wrote:
At 11:23 AM 9/18/2003, you wrote:
I am trying to set up file permissions for my CVS repository that will be accessed from a remote client. The CVSNT server is v2.0.9 and is intalled on win2k server and the client is WinCVS 1.3.13 running on windowXP

there are essentially 3 things i would like to do:
1. i would like to limit access all the files in CVSROOT to the CVS administrator (except for the val-tags i guess since i read that this must be writable by all users)

You can check out the setup I documented in the cvsnt wiki documents at
http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/SetAcl
That should get you enough information to allow you to confidently restrict the commit privileges on the CVSROOT.  Note that the HISTORY file should be writable to all users, I hadn't read anything about val-tags but assuming it's a cvsnt file also, then that makes sense (I would appreciate your citing the source where you read that so I can see too).

2. if possible, i would like to limit branch creation to the administrator as well

You'll want to limit this with the processing hooks--but I don't recall the file name.  There is, for example, PostCommit to run scripts after committing, Commit for before, I would imagine there would be one called "tag" or similar.  Then in your script you check if it is a branch tag addition operation, and you then stop it from happening by returning exit code 1.  Perhaps someone else on the list can answer in a more detailed fashion.

I am pretty much new to windows/cvsnt permissions so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Roger
Regards,

Glen Starrett