[cvsnt] Partialy OT: CVSNT and Firewall/Router

Michael R. Levy Michael at MichaelRLevy.com
Fri Sep 19 22:28:32 BST 2003

I'm a CVSNT newbie having a problem using CVS inside/outside my
router/firewall.

I have multiple Root files located in CVS directories in each directory of
my project.  This is the "Root" of my problem <heh heh>.

My CVSNT server is set up with NAT inside my Belkin router.  I have the
Belkin's "Virtual Servers" set up to forward connections on ports 2401 and
2402 to the CVSNT server.  When I connect using my laptop from outside the
router, I set up my WinCVS so the host address is the address of the
router, and everything works fine.

When I try to do development work while I'm "inside" my router, I can't
connect.  Apparently the router will not route connections from "inside"
the router the way I would like it to.  I can, for example, "telnet
192.168.x.x 2401" and get the "bad auth protocol" but I can't "telnet
myhost.com 2401".

If I run WinCVS's "Change CVSROOT" Macro on the project to change the host
to either the 192.168.x.x IP or to the server's net name, it works fine but
obviously that won't work when I connect from outside the firewall.

I can think of three solutions:

(A) Run "Change CVSROOT Macro" each time I move location.  (Not a very
attractive solution.)
(B) Find out if there is a way to avoid having the server host specified in
each of the Root files. (Is there?)
(C) Figure a way to set up my router so requests from "inside" to the
"outside" IP are routed properly.

Any other ideas?  Any help appreciated.
Plus -- thanks to all who contribute to the list, I've learned a lot from
your comments!

Michael Levy