[cvsnt] Re: Quicker CVS head revision checkout

Michal Kara lemming at is.cz
Tue Sep 23 12:12:18 BST 2003

> I remember from a previous email, you indicated that people were
> accessing these multiple-megabyte game files all at once for
> test--wouldn't it make more sense to post the package to a webserver
> instead of having to rework CVS into a file distribution system?  No
> offense here--I like the idea--but I don't think CVS was meant for file
> distribution.
>
> You could set up a POSTCOMMIT script that would do an export to a web
> directory then .zip that up, and it would be faster download for the
> users too.
 >
> Or did I get this wrong--are all those users downloading the pack so
> they can provide patches / updates / commits to the repository?

   I see. I have already thought of using something different than CVS.
But: Of the people, there are ~30 developpers which do RW access and
some kind of versioning. Then there are ~15 people (mostly testers)
which would be satisfied with RO access. The large files are animations
and there are not many (<100). The whole repository checked out has ~4GB
and consists of more than 40 thousand files.

   What makes the problem is that the files are scattered through the
tree so that it would be difficult to distribute some files with one
system and others with another.

   Fortunatelly, these big files do not change too often, so it is no
mayor problem.

   Thanks for your interest.

						Michal Kara