[cvsnt] release command not noticing updates

russo at albany.edu russo at albany.edu
Tue Sep 23 22:26:43 BST 2003

>On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> russo at albany.edu wrote:
>
> > Problem:
> >>From my limited understanding of CVS commands, "cvs release" is supposed
> > to let you know if you have any edited files which have not been committed
> > since your last commit or update.  However, it remains silent.
> >
> > I did the following using the cvsnt client:
> > checkout source
> > edited files in source
> > update source
> > release -d source
> >
> > CVSNT simply asks if I want to continue with the release without reporting
> > that I have uncommitted, modified files.
> > Am I'm confused here or is cvs?
> >
> It depends what you edited...  If you didn't make any real changes then the
> update will have reset the timestamps, so the release won't see the change.
>
> The check is only a simple one - are the timestamps different.  It doesn't
> compare the file contents.
>
> Release is pretty useless for most purposes anyway (the only advantage is
> that it will unedit/notify any files you have edited).

Hi Tony,
I actually edited the file. I tried several times from one PC, then moved
to another and tried again using cvs95.exe which comes with TortoiseCVS
(which is apparently a slightly older CVSNT client).
Between these attempts I edited different files within the module...
Are there any other files besides the history file on the server side
which get modified during an update?

Does cvs use the entire timestamp or round off to minutes or something...?
Grasping at straws here.

-Ryan