[cvsnt] newbie question......

keith d. zimmerman lists at kdz13.net
Thu Sep 25 19:35:24 BST 2003

Hello

> My question is, how does a project team go about working on the same
> file in a project without running into conflicts?  Is it a
> simple matter
> of verbal communication?  Hey friend, I'm working on welcome.html I'll
> let you know when I'm done so you can work on it?

It'll be a combination of verbal/non-verbal communication and dumb
luck...  The conflict only arises when you actually make changes to the
same lines of html/code.  I've found that with good management of who is
doing what, this happens rarely in practice.  In other words, if you
have one "task" to change the title of the page, and another "task" to
change the footer, and you do the one, and your friend does the other,
cvs will automaticly merge your changes.  The assignment of who does
what is the communication part.  It would be stupid for both of you to
be responsible for changing the title, would it not?

> Does this question make sense?

Yup, it does

> Thanx in advance

No problem