[cvsnt] Re: Two CVSNT servers on same machine

Daniel Lapolla ldlapolla at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 1 21:44:50 BST 2004

> That's why I put in so many question marks. Were you talking about server
> _instances_ then instead of server machines? How exactly were you
intending
> to perform that "migration"?

Yes, I'm talking about instances. One instance of version 1.11.1.3 and other
instance of version 2.0.34. Both running at the same time in the same
machine, but responding on different ports.

> OK, let's call it backwards-compatible then. IIRC the changes are still
> within the RCS specs so that even if you downgraded the server binaries
> again they would be able to cope (read: silently ignore) the additional
data
> put there by the newer server version. Don't take my word on that last bit
> though... better wait for Tony to confirm.

Ok.

> Not exactly the same but compatible as well again. Newer clients(!) store
> some more information in the Entries.Extra file (local timestamps IIRC)
but
> older clients would just ignore that.

I'm currently using WinCVS 1.3.15.1 (bundled with CVSNT 2.0.24) and will not
upgrate them. Just the server will be upgraded (at least for now).

Anyway, I agree with you: at least compatible.

> > I don't
> > understand why I have to commit the changes before upgrade the server.
> Maybe
> > Bo or Tony coud explain this issue better...
>
> It's probably just like the recommendation to backup your repository
before
> doing the upgrade. You could never be too cautious. If everything was
> committed before the upgrade you would definitely have a clean cut
> guaranteed.
> I admit that by now I'd really like to see a little clarification as
well...

I'd like to see some clarification too...

Thanks,
Daniel