[cvsnt] Re: How to get exsiting CVSNT repo up to date??

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Apr 12 23:22:15 BST 2004

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 21:58:19 +0100, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> I just realized that all of my repositories are quite old (several
>> years) and predate improvements like the postcommit script...
>>
>> Now I have a real use for postcommit, but I don't know how to get it
>> into my repository. The prototype scriptfile is not there in any case.
>> So what is the recommended procedure to get a repository up to date
>> with respect to things like these (like going from 1.11.3.x to 2.0.34
>> or similar)?
>>

>You can just 'cvs add' them and they'll start working.  If you want the
>comments etc. just do a 'cvs init' into a directory somewhere and copy them
>out to use as templates.
>
>For the most part the server works out what's there and uses it/upgrades it
>automatically.  It's downgrade that's hard... :)
>
>Tony
Apparently I am missing something serious here. I could add the
postcommit script just fine, but when I used it I got this:

C:\Programs\CVSNT\Temp\cvs-serv2632>cvs -d
:sspi:cvsupdater:cvsupd at cvsserver:/PC update
cvs server: Post-commit check failed
***** CVS exited normally with code 1 *****

This is the single line I put in postcommit:

agiusa D:\Websites\mycompany\updatewebsite.bat

It refers to a batch file that has two lines in it:

cd d:\Websites\mycompany\www
cvs -d :sspi:cvsupdater:cvsupd at cvsserver:/PC update

When I execute the batch file from a command prompt it works OK, but
not from the postcommit script and what is more disturbing, it fails
the commit altogether.
Note that it seems like the command in the batch file is executed in
the wrong folder (the cvsnt temp folder), why is that so when I
explicitly added a cd as above?

I thought that postcommit would be executed *after* the commit had
been fully done and would not return any error codes to cvs to stop
the commit. But I get the error code 1 as shown above.

What am I missing?
(I created the local admin user cvsupdater just to handle this
update).

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)