[cvsnt] Re: WDSC (eclipse) repository prefix issue

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Apr 13 11:12:40 BST 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 11:06:34 +0200, "Rolf Wilms"
<rolf_wilms at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Thus the only CVSNT version I can wholeheartedly recommend is 1.11.1.3 build
>57h, with the stated restrictions (no repository prefix, no ActiveDirectory,
>no CruiseControl). Otherwise I'd give 2.0.14 a careful try. I would not
>attempt to use repository prefixes and fake CVSNT to report itself as being
>a Unix CVS server. This would deactivate all the Eclipse code dealing with
>the differences between CVSNT and CVS. But maybe I'm too pessimistic here
>and these differences are really a thing of the past.

57h has many bugs including security bugs.  It is unsupported and you
get no help if it breaks.  Use at your own risk.

Eclipse works fine when you fake it out - it seems to have no code at
all dealing with differences (which there aren't many... certainly
nothing that a client should be bothered with - eclipse makes errors
in its parsing such as assuming user output is authoritative and
ignoring the data from the underlying protocol.. however even with
that in mind there isn't a huge amount of difference).

The whole point of the fake unix option is to make eclipse work.
Really everyone should be using this with it.  If there are still
incompatibilities with that option enabled I can at least write
workarounds that can be switched off for proper clients... however I
couldn't find any (before my temporary WSAD license expired anyway).

2.0.14 is at the borders of supportability right now - it's still
basically supportable because the number of new features since is low,
but I would recommend upgrading.