[cvsnt] Re: cvs edit without repository connection doesnt do local actions.

Eliot spam at blennerhassett.gen.nz
Wed Apr 14 06:00:03 BST 2004

Eliot wrote:

EB: (cvs edit without repository connection doesn't make file writeable,
  put copy in CVS/Base)

TH: edit needs a connection to the repository to handle things like
  reserved checkouts, which may be enforced by the use of the global
  cvsrc.

EB: Few (not everybody anyway) use reserved checkouts?  Thats why we use
_Concurrent_ Version System.

TH: There isn't much point in using edit if you're not connected
  to the repository as its purpose is to notify other people of your
  actions.

EB: AND to make the file writeable, and to put a copy in CVS/Base so that
  "cvs unedit" will work later (an also enable me to do a local diff with
  the original).  These two things can be done with or without the
  repository connection.

  Also, the old docs say that the repository edit status should be updated
  when a connection is next made.

  I can use the OS to change the readonly flag of the file, but I lose the
  other functionality, and waste time achieving what CVS should be able to
  do for me.

Further to the above, the current texi documentation in the source tarball says:
When using client/server @sc{cvsnt}, you can use the @code{cvs edit} and
@code{cvs unedit} commands even if @sc{cvsnt} is unable to successfully
communicate with the server; the notifications will be sent upon the next
successful @sc{cvsnt} command.

Is this incorrect?

- Eliot