[cvsnt] Re: Way to dispose of Attic files

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Apr 16 22:51:29 BST 2004

Aaron Kynaston wrote:
> I see the Attic's practical use as providing a way to get at files under
> previous tags (snapshots if you will), for even those files that I've
> deleted!

That's what 'cvs update' does.  The attic is an implementation detail - you
shouldn't be using it like that (it doesn't work like that anyway - the Attic
used to hold any file that didn't have a revision in HEAD, whether it was
deleted or not).

> I've simply removed a lot of attic files, but the whole idea of a
> source code repository is to be able to get back at previous versions
> true?

You should never delete files from the repository.  Let the client handle
access to it.