[cvsnt] Re: Exlusive Locks

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Apr 23 10:46:59 BST 2004

Eberhard Mueller wrote:
> Hello,
> I have to search for a powerfull revision control system with integration in Visual Studio ( this can be done with PushOk) But Can anybody tell me how ist it possible to use exclusive Locks in the repsository. The CVSNT server should act like i kown it from the normal rcs the file should be locked and teh other user only can do unlock modify till the use tha has locked the file check it back to repository an another user can check it out for editing!!
>
> I have to use excusve locks with integration in Visual studio!!! Concurrent Version don't work for me!!!!
> Is it possible to to confiure the CVSNT wor work like RCS ( only exclusive locks )

Not really.... the whole point of CVS is that it is concurrent.  You can use
cvs edit -c to fake exclusive locks for some types of file, but it is
relatively easy to circumvent (it's just for those cases where merging doesn't
work such as binary files, and even then it's not essential).

If you really need that model another system such as VSS or Perforce may be
more suitable.