[cvsnt] Re: Converting binary files to ASCII

Christian Hack christianh at edmi.com.au
Fri Apr 23 13:57:13 BST 2004

> From: cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org [mailto:cvsnt-bounces at cvsnt.org]On Behalf
> Of Tony Hoyle
>
> On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:17:30 +0800, "Christian Hack"
> <christianh at edmi.com.au> wrote:
>
> >I just converted some Borland forms from their proprietary
> binary format to
> >a text format. Initially they were in the repository as binary
> files. So I
> >removed them, committed, added the new ASCII files making sure they were
> >ASCII and then committed again.
> >
> >Subsequent checkouts still show them as binary files though. I didn't
> change
> >their names at all and on the second commit the new ASCII forms
> assumed the
> >next revisions of the old binary files.
> >

> It depends on your server version.  Later versions of CVSNT support
> this but with other versions you have to change the type manually
> using cvs admin.
>
> On Unix CVS you can't safely change the type the expansion option
> isn't versioned - it just corrupts all your previous versions.

Thanks for the reply Tony,

It is CVSNT version 2.0.23 and Tortoise 1.6.5 (which runs CVSNT 2.0.26) that
I am running right now. I'm assuming from your reply that that isn't recent
enough?

If I use "cvs admin -kt <filename>" on the ASCII files that CVSNT thinks is
a binary do I run the risk of stuffing things up?

Or should I go back to the previous versions and do something like this:

cvs admin -kt <filename>
update
copy ASCII file in place of binary
commit