[cvsnt] Re: Linux & sserver?

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Apr 27 01:15:02 BST 2004

Rolf Wilms wrote:
> If you're talking about Eclipse using sserver to connect to a CVSNT set to
> "Require Encryption", then it may be related to the following problem:
>
> CVSNT expects the client to send "Protocol-encrypt" as a response when
> there is "Require Encryption". Eclipse does not know about this response.
> I see two options to resolve this problem:
>
> a) Eclipse is extended at the command level to support "Protocol-encrypt".

Or it could send Gssapi-encrypt (which should already be supported on some
level by eclipse as it's a standard part of the original protocol).  The
old name still works as a synonym even though encryption has moved on since
then.

> b) CVSNT removes this requirement since with sserver the encryption is
> done at the connection level and "Protocol-encrypt" is a noop anyway.

It isn't a noop - it actually changes the way the server talks to the
client.  On sserver the implementation is (currently) a noop, but it's not
an optional part of the encryption process.

It also validates that the client has stated that the protocol is in fact
encrypted - there's a handshake in which the server asks for or demands
encryption, and the client acknowledges that request.  It is entirely
possible to make a plaintext sserver client - plaintext SSL exists (I may
implement it someday to support the authentication only encryption that is
currently the same as encryption on sserver).