[cvsnt] Re: Trunk, branches & 'head'

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Tue Apr 27 16:13:41 BST 2004

Harrison, Andrew wrote:

> Ok, I think that's what happened. How does the cvs admin -b command
> work? I'd rtfm, but you just said it was undocumented.

It's effect is probably the same as manually modifying the branch line
in the RCS file that you already discovered. The syntax is cvs admin
-bBRANCHNAME FileName . IIRC it could also be used recursively on folders.

> If no sticky tag/branch is active in my working copy then when I do
> an update it gets out the default branch. If I then do a commit it
> will go back into the trunk, even if the trunk is not the default
> branch.

...and at the same time resetting the default branch to the trunk. The
only situation where this behaviour makes at least a bit of sense is
when managing changes to third-party sources, which is exactly what the
Import command was invented for. You could read about this here:
http://www.cvsnt.org/manual/Tracking-sources.html

> That is very confusing. Also it means that all the changes that have
> happened in the default branch since it branched off the trunk get
> included in the new revision in the trunk.

Yes. Would you have expected that CVS removed the changes again from
your newly committed file? Note that usually there are no trunk changes
*before* the branchpoint of the default branch (given that it was
implicitly created by Import), so this doesn't really make any difference.
All in all, the inner workings and implications of the Import command
definitely are the least transparent of all CVS commands. Tony has
already remedied some of this recently but some things are still fairly
off-standard (e.g. the way the Vendor branch is created).

> Surely both update & commit with no sticky tag or branch should both
> work on the default branch?

Yes. And they do - if you just take a twisted enough look at it... ;)

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:	ogiesen at jabber.org