[cvsnt] Re: TimeZone

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Wed Apr 28 06:09:49 BST 2004

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 11:00:04 +0900, "wanghui" <k-ou at ns.cnt.jp.nec.com>
wrote:

>Dear all:
>
>   I am a freshman with CVS. now my job is source composition management, in
>tokyo.
>  I really appreciate for your help.
>
>  my server is  CVSNT,client is elipse with cvs function. when i commit to
>changed java
>file , the head comment of the file is updated too. however the update time
>is Greenwich
>Time ,not the local time(japan) in my system. how can i set the time as
>local time?

CVS uses GMT (or rather UTC) for its internal time stamps. This is by
design to allow global development processes to correctly work
concurrently even when developers are in different time zones. You
cannot change this.
On the other hand you don't need to worry about it either, you should
not use the CVS timestamps for anything in your environment. CVS takes
care to touch files on update such that your build environment will
correctly note changed files as in need of compile (from the make
system). This means that timestamps of updated files will change for
every update and be set to the local time (now()) and it also means
that your files will not be timestamped the same as anybody elses
anyway. The only meaningful indicator of file status is the cvs file
revision. Which also is completely handled by CVS itself. Simply don't
worry about it, it works guaranteed.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)