[cvsnt] Error with 2.0.51a ends with "results may not be correct"

Fish fish at fish-mail.com
Tue Aug 3 20:29:44 BST 2004

Hi,

I'm not subscribed, so please CC me on any replies.

First, some likely useless background.  I had a server running CVSNT 2.0.26
using SSPI authentication that was getting hammered by the lock server.
After a little Googling, I saw messages indicating that later versions dealt
better with the load.  I ran the 51a installer and installed over the top of
the previous version and rebooted.  On boot time, the CVSNT GUI utility
stated that I didn't have either service installed.  Since it was during
production hours, I had to uninstall the software, reinstall 51a, and reboot
again.  At this time, the server did come up.

Now, when the users try to do any CVS operation, they get an error message to
the effect of "cvs server: Access denied looking up D:/data/cvsroot/digital -
results may not be correct".  I tried creating for them a new cvsroot, I
tried resetting all the filesystem permissions, and still they get that error
message.  With an add, they get the error message and then the add goes on.
With all others, they seem to just get the error message.  I cleared out the
temp directory.  Still they get the same message.

Then I tried doing the same things they're doing myself, and it works for me.
It works with more than one version of WinCVS.  The difference is that I am a
local administrator and they are not, along with all the other implied
differences.

Can someone please give me some pointers towards what might be causing this?
We're trying to migrate from our old Unix CVS server to this new machine.

Thanks in advance,

Fish