[cvsnt] cvs tag -M ?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Thu Aug 5 22:44:15 BST 2004

I just stumbled over this in the cvs -H tag output:

-M      Create floating branch.

Is this supposed to be functional? If so, how am I supposed to use it and
what exactly is it supposed to do?

Judging by the name it sounded like this would be the feature we've been
talking about before where a branch tag would continue to refer to the tip
of its parent branch/trunk until a revision was explicitly committed onto it
from which point onwards it would act like a normal branch tag. Is this it?

My tests so far produced nothing useful... it created a branch symbol at
rev. 1.0.0.2 that according to cvs log was associated with no revision and
which I couldn't update to ("could not find desired version 1.0 in
/testroot/cvstest1/test.txt,v") and hence could commit no revisions on...

Cheers,

--
Oliver
JID:  ogiesen at jabber.org