[cvsnt] Re: Limiting access to CVSROOT and some CVS commands. ..

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Thu Aug 5 23:31:13 BST 2004

Lehman, Curtis wrote:

> I don't understand. I have created the admin file with clehman in it. I
> uncomment the SystemAuth=yes in the config file.  I even have projects that
> list clehman as an owner. How come I can't change owner of CVSROOT  from
> nothing to clehman, i.e. "cvs chown clehman CVSROOT" fails. I wasn't able to
> set someone else as an owner of a different project either. How is this not
> a bug? It really does seem like chown command doesn't work at all. What is
> the purpose of the "Owner:" anyhow?

Without a user called clehman on the system it's meaningless to try to
do any operations using that name.

> When I do a cvs lsacl I get "Owner: <not set>". When I do a cvs chown

> S -> Machine is standalone
> S -> NetUserGetInfo returned NERR_UserNotFound - failing
> cvs server: User clehman does not exist

That's pretty clear - you're trying to set the owner to a completely
nonexistant user.

> So, I committed back out the "SystemAuth=yes" in the config file and removed
> the admin file from the CVSROOT. I then simply used "cvs chacl clehman:rwc
> CVSROOT" to add me, which it did. Then when I do a "cvs lsacl CVSROOT" I

If that even slightly works then there's something really screwed up.
You shouldn't even be able to log in under that name as it's a
nonexistant user.

You don't have 'Simple File Sharing' enabled???  That disables the
system security.