[cvsnt] Re: Limiting access to CVSROOT and some CVS commands. ..

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Fri Aug 6 00:05:45 BST 2004

Lehman, Curtis wrote:

> Ok, I admit I am really confused and a novice at CVS so please help me
> understand.
>
> I thought clehman is a valid user. clehman is what I use to login to my
> windows PC, it's what's shown via the "cvs lsacl <project>" as the "Owner:"
> for the other projects I created via an import command, It's what I use as
> my login with sspi protocol and is what is in my CVSROOT, it's what I added
> to the admin file, and it was accepted by the "cvs chacl clehman:rwc
> CVSROOT". I don't understand why your saying it's meaningless and a
> nonexistent user?

Are you using some kind of 3rd party authentication like netware?  CVSNT
isn't tested with those at all and may not work if they don't integrate
with the system in the same way as normal domains or active directory.

I really don't see how you can be logging into a PC with a username that
doesn't exist in the SAM database.  If it was part of a domain it would
make sense but it's clearly not as the trace shows.

> My admin file had just clehman on one line all by itself. Is this the
> correct format? Do I need a project name or DEFAULT in front of the clehman?

You don't need to bother with the admin file at all if you're an
administrator on the box.  It's useful though to add yourself to make
sure that it works (since checking for administor on Windows is a bit
hit and miss sometimes).