[cvsnt] Re: Un*x Parameter Files

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Fri Aug 6 03:19:44 BST 2004

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> I'm running XP Server 2003 and a recent CVSNT installation (last month or
> so).
>
> Emacs and other un*x style utilities like to store their parameter/startup
> files in the top level directory (eg: c:/.emacs or c:/.bashrc for the
> cygwin).

You might want to set your HOME or HOMEDIR environment vars, as I
believe they control where those files get stored and aren't set up on
Win by default (in some cases, not sure).

> I'm storing a lot of project specific code in my c:/.emacs and I would like
> to put it under version control. Does it have to be in its own repository
> since it is in a different directory than my project? I would like to
> archive it in the same directory as my project.

Doesn't have to be in it's own repository, nor even it's own module, but
for simplicity you might want to keep it in a subdir of the project.

I don't know though if you can directly checkout a sandbox to the root
of a drive, I think it is always in a subdirectory of the current
directory.  I suppose you could manually move the CVS dir and the
individual file you want, but I'd think setting HOME environment var is
a better idea overall.

--
Glen Starrett