[cvsnt] CVSNT 2.0.51a import bug

Jurko Gospodnetiæ mangled at to.avoid.spam
Fri Aug 6 14:04:18 BST 2004

  Hi all.

  I've managed to crash the CVSNT 2.0.51a server running on a
Windows XP machine by trying to do an import with the global -n
option turned on.

  I have the crash dump files for those crashes so if anyone needs
them - just holler.

  Also, since I've installed CVSNT 2.0.51a I have been unable to
do an update using the import command, but I've now seen
someone else's recent post about that same problem and that a
patch for this will come out soon. Till then, it's back to 2.0.38 for
me.

  More detailed notes on all of this in a copy-pasted text at the
end of this post.

  HTH,
    Jurko

1. CVSNT crash:

cvs
 -n
 -d :sspi:localhost:/Jurko
 import
 -m "Importing release 2.1 of the JurLib library"
 SuperJamJurLib
 Jurko
 JurLib_release_2-1

---------------------
Exact command output:
---------------------

I SuperJamJurLib/CVS
I SuperJamJurLib/DevelopmentUtility/CVS
I SuperJamJurLib/Locker/CVS
I SuperJamJurLib/Log/CVS
I SuperJamJurLib/Observer/CVS
I SuperJamJurLib/WindowsWrappers/CVS
cvs server: cannot open
D:/Resources/CVSNT/Repositories/Jurko/SuperJamJurLib/.owner for writing: No
such file or directory
cvs server: Importing
D:/Resources/CVSNT/Repositories/Jurko/SuperJamJurLib/DevelopmentUtility
cvs server: cannot open
D:/Resources/CVSNT/Repositories/Jurko/SuperJamJurLib/DevelopmentUtility/.own
er for writing: No such file or directory
cvs server: cannot open
D:/Resources/CVSNT/Repositories/Jurko/SuperJamJurLib/DevelopmentUtility/.per
ms for writing: No such file or directory

(Got a message box saying: 'Unfortunately CVSNT has crashed. Would you like
to produce a crash dump?'
Asked to mail the crashdump to 'cvsnt-crashdumps at cvsnt.org'.)

-----------------------------
Actions leading to the crash:
-----------------------------

  SuperJamJurLib is a module defined in the CVSROOT/modules file on the
server.

  Already imported before with version 2.0 and now I was trying to import a
new
version but tried it the following way:
    * Checked out the previously imported sources.
    * Modified the sources to match the new version (no file's added or
      removed).
    * Tried to import from that same folder.

2. CVSNT crash:

[...]

(With the same message box as before.)

-----------------------------
Actions leading to the crash:
-----------------------------

  Similar to the first crash but this time did it from a folder that was
just a
clean export of the new release - thus the CVS folders do not seem to be the
cause for this crash.

---
Additional notes:
---

  Used CVSNT version 2.0.51a.

  The crash did not occur when I did not specify the -n global option.

  Also the SuperJamJurLib string was interpreted as a regular folder, and
was
not expanded as defined in the CVSROOT/modules configuration file.

  When I specified the full path instead of SuperJamJurLib:
    cvs -d ":sspi:localhost:/Jurko" import -m "Testing"
"Projects/_Programming_/SuperJam/Source/JurLib" Jurko TestingTag
and did it from a cleanly exported folder I just get message
    '*** ERRORS DURING THIS IMPORT ***'
and nothing gets imported - no changes are made to the repository.

  The sources in the CVS repository have not been modified since the
original
import.

  No matter what I tried I did not manage to update the repository using the
import command. Also failed with a completely new test file that I imported
- the original import works as expected but the update seems to be ignored.
Rebooting after the crash also did not help.

  Everything works ok with CVSNT 2.0.38.