[cvsnt] How do you debug a system crash?

John Cole john.cole at uai.com
Wed Aug 11 16:28:01 BST 2004

Curtis,
  We brought up a new server (but haven't moved to it yet) and it has a
similar problem (before we loaded any software at all on it).  Our problem
was the new chipsets were causing W2K3 Server to crash (new HP DL145).
Upgrading some drivers helped.

  Since you didn't mention OS, I don't know if this is remotely similar,
only your symptoms are similar to what we had.  CVS was not loaded on our
system when it crashed like your, and since being updated, has run 2.0.41a
for months with no crashes (our backup scripts copy and restore the
repositories onto the new machine nightly keeping it as a hot spare until we
move over to it).

  When CVS crashes, it usually pops up a dialog asking if you want a crash
dump.  I don't know if that is how things currently work, as I haven't seen
one of those dialogs in a while ;-) I'm not sure if that helps, since your
locked out when you crash.

  Like I said, your symptoms are very similar to an experience we had with a
new server, hopefully this will be helpful.

John Cole