[cvsnt] Re: Locked file

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sat Aug 14 01:04:29 BST 2004

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 15:15:20 -0500, "Brian Kowald"
<bkowald at synergybroadcast.com> wrote:

>I can't commit a file, I get a the following error:
>
>cvs [server aborted]: cannot rename file
>/tiltracroot/tiltwin/WEBSEC/,ordertitle.cpp, to
>/tiltracroot/tiltwin/WEBSEC/ordertitle.cpp,v: Permission denied
>
>It seems to be only this file.
>
>I tried renaming or deleting it on the server and get an a sharing
>violation error.
>
>I restarted the cvs service but that didn't do any good. What about
>cvslocks.exe? Should there be one running all the time? Should I kill
>it?
>
>Thanks,
>Brian

Check with TaskManager on the server if there is a cvs.exe process
hanging there. There should never be any cvs.exe processes executing
constantly, they are usually very transient. If you see one it has
hung and it is locking the file. Just kill it and you will be fine.
But you cannot do this from TaskManager, you have to use a utility
like kill.exe from the resource kit to do it.
I have put a scheduled task om my servers that does this every night
at 4 AM.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)