[cvsnt] CVSNT for Web Development?

Peter Crowther Peter.Crowther at melandra.com
Sun Aug 15 20:41:18 BST 2004

> From: Siegfried Heintze [mailto:siegfried at heintze.com]
> Now it seems logical to me to use the import command on this
> directory. But
> I also need to continue working in this directory to see my
> results. So now
> what do I do? Delete the entire directory and use the
> checkout command to
> recreate it? Yikes.... OK....

Rename it *then* checkout.  If it didn't work, you still have the old
one.  Or take a backup first.

> So is the recommended procedure to make the sandbox and the WebServer
> directory the same directory?

I've tended to do that, and it works for me.  Your mileage may vary,
etc.

> Well now, suppose I need to go over to Marty's office and
> work with together
> with Marty on the Marty account and modify those perl
> scripts. So I check
> them out on Marty's machine and make changes and use WebDAV
> or FTP to copy
> from my sandbox to the directory in C:\Program Files\Apache
> Group\Apache2\cgi-bin on the desktop machine of my office
> until the web
> pages display the way I want them to. Then I do a "cvs commit".

OK.  Or you do what you do now, and modify the ones in that folder, then
check them in when you return to your office.

> What do I do when I return to my office? "cvs update"? Will
> that merge the
> old files with the new? That is not what I want. Do I have to
> release my
> sand box and check it out again? This seams strange and awkward.

cvs update will note that there are new committed files; will try to
merge the new committed files with the ones in your sandbox; will find
that they are identical and will note the fact.  So you don't need to
worry.

> Assuming the answer is yes, let say I do a lot more work from
> my office
> machine that is hosting the site.
>
> Now assume Marty does no work on these files until I return
> to his office.
> Do I release the sand box again and check out again?

No.  He runs 'cvs update' and gets the new copies of the files, as his
are older and he has made no changes to them since.

> Is it normal to release sandboxes frequently?

No.  I've done it once or twice when making large changes to the CVS
structure on the server.  Other than that, you can usually manage
without.

		- Peter