[cvsnt] Sever keeps hanging...

Lehman, Curtis CLehman at carrieraccess.com
Mon Aug 16 19:09:04 BST 2004

How do I debug CVSNT if it's crashing the box? Does anyone think this is a
HW compatibility issue based on the below HW configuration? Is there a way
to turn on some logging tools to try and capture/debug the problem?

Background: I have moved onto a new server box when I updated to 2.0.51 from
2.0.41. I have already updated the server to 2.0.51c, the Linux clients are
still running 2.0.51. The server keeps seeming to hang, 4 or 5 times in a
week, once since 2.0.51c. I think I caught it once while it was on it's way
to hanging. It looks like it might be a run away process/memory leak. The
lock server and cvs program had the CPU pegged at 100%. There was very
little disk drive activity and the memory on the cvs server was slowly
climbing. It was  400+ Megs and still growing when I restarted the service.
There were two people who were using the server at once we think, based on
netstat command. I only know that one of the two services was a person doing
a branch command on a project. Even 10 minutes after the user control+c the
command the netstat command showed that cvs still had a connection opened to
that user. When I had the user kill the command the memory was only at 240
Megs, so it was still growing after the command ended. The project is over
20,000+ files and over 200+ Meg disk space wise.

The new server is a dual zeon processor with a GIG of ram and 80 Gigs of
Raid 0 hard drives. The box is configured for single processor even though
it has two processors. The server is about two years old and was a mail
exchange before this, so it's known good hardware. The OS got wiped and
reinstalled with the latest version of Windows NT 2000. CVS is the only
program that's running on the box.

Thanks,
Curt