[cvsnt] Using CVS add instead of cvs import

Siegfried Heintze siegfried at heintze.com
Tue Aug 17 01:00:15 BST 2004

I'm looking at the Essential CVS book and there is a section on using the
command

cvs checkout -l -d cvsroot .

as an alternative to using "cvs import" (page 157).

Let us suppose I have already done a couple of cvs import commands (so I
already have a cvsroot) on existing directories and want to create a third
directory (errr, I maybe I mean module) called htdocs.

Can I do

cd /Program Files/Apache Group/Apache2/htdocs
cvs -C co -l -d htdocs .

where htdocs is the existing directory with tons of garbage in it?  I only
want to put a few files and subdirectories under version control.

What would the add function look like? Maybe something like this?

cvs add default.htm -m "Initial import"

Now suppose there is a directory called htdocs/images and I want to add
images to version control. Can I now do

cd images
cvs checkout -l -d images .

Thanks,