[cvsnt] Re: Using CVS add instead of cvs import

Tony Hoyle tmh at nodomain.org
Tue Aug 17 01:32:43 BST 2004

Siegfried Heintze wrote:

> I'm glad I asked!
> Is it possible to populate a module one file at a time with the add command?
> If so, how do I create an empty module called htdocs when the existing
> htdocs directory has a lot of garbage in it?
> I want to do this because I have a lot of garbage in the htdocs directory
> and I only want some files (and some subdirectories, but not all) to be
> under version control.

The usual way is to use a cvsignore file (this is easiest if you want a
certain class of file eg. all the .html not not .bak).  Some of the
frontends can handle this quite nicely (eg. Tortoise).

If you just want to create a toplevel module do something like:

cd foo
cvs -d d:/repo import -Cdn -I * -m "Initial import" foo

That'll import the toplevel directory, and not import any files.

Then you can use cvs add/cvs commit to populate it.