[cvsnt] Re: assiging revision 0.1

Merrill Cornish merrill.cornish at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 17 22:56:41 BST 2004

Bo,

>>> No, no, no, NO!
>>>The revision numbers will increment *independently* for every file in
>>>the project as this file is modified and committed!

Yes and no.

The request actually addresses the use of the number to the left of the first dot.  You are addressing the number(s) to the right of the first dot.

In many repositories, all of the file revision numbers are _forever_ of the form "1.x" where x ranges from 1 upward.  That is, the number before of the dot never gets incremented no matter how many file revisions or product releases there are.  It is the number _after_ the dot that CVS automatically incrementes.  CVS can quite happily run from now until eternity without ever incrementing the number to the left of the dot.  (In fact, the average CVS user isn't even sure _how_ to increment the initial number.)

In other words, the number to the left of the dot is basically unused _by_CVS_.  If it's unused by CVS, why not allow it to represent something useful for someone else, such as the major product release number.

However, as someone else pointed out, all CVS implementations (and all other source control products I'm familiar with) start numbering at 1.1.  So changing the first revision to 0.1 for CVSNT would cause much confusion, possibly repository corruption, and kill any changes of interoperability.  So, the first number would have to be defined as "the product release we are working _toward_".

Merrill