[cvsnt] SSPI Access denied problems [was: Access denied looking up C:/Data/cvsrepo]

Scott Whitney ScottWhitney at DesignMentor.com
Wed Aug 18 14:00:04 BST 2004

Hi CVSNT users and gurus,

I haven't received any advice on this problem, and I'm really stuck.  I'm reposting it with a little clarification, because I think this is some type of basic SSPI problem or a domain permissions problem.

I have CVSNT 2.0.51a installed on our Windows 2000 Server.  I read all the FAQs I could find and sorted through many back postings.  I have created a repository on C:\Data\cvsrepo, and the CVSNT applet was able to initialize it.  I also created a temporary directory in C:\Data\cvstemp.  The members of my software group have been given Full rights to both of these directories.  The repository name as set in the CVSNT applet is /cvsrepo.  Both the server and lockdir services are running.

The remainder of my initial post follows, but basically if I'm logged in as the domain administrator and type "cvs -d :sspi:files:/cvsrepo ls", the command works correctly.

However, if I try to log in as one of the users with Full access and issue the same command, "cvs -d :sspi:files:/cvsrepo ls", I always get an error message:

cvs server: Access denied looking up C:/Data/cvsrepo - results may not be correct

Typing "cvs info" shows me that the :sspi: protocol is available.  I have tried these same commands with CVSNT clients 2.0.41a (from the WinCVS 1.3 distribution), and 2.0.51a, and the results are the same.

I'm assuming that this is some kind of permissions problem.  Can anyone provide some advice?  We're really desperate to get this working, and I'd hate to have to switch to some other VCS over what should be such a simple problem.

Best regards, and thanks!

--Scott

<Original posting>

I have CVSNT version 2.0.41a running on a client (from WinCVS 1.3), and the server has been set up with version 2.0.51a.  The server appears to be running correctly, and I gave the users in my software group full control for the C:\Data\cvstemp directory and C:\Data\cvsrepo directories on my server.  The repository name is just /cvsrepo.

On the server while logged in as an administrator, this works fine:

cvs -d :sspi:files:/cvsrepo ls

On my client, logged in via our domain server, I keep getting the error:

C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCvs 1.3\CVSNT>cvs -d :sspi:files:/cvsrepo ls
cvs server: Access denied looking up C:/Data/cvsrepo - results may not be correct

Also on my client, the command "cvs info" returns the following:

C:\Program Files\GNU\WinCvs 1.3\CVSNT>cvs info
Available protocols:

local               (internal)
ext                 ext 2.0.41a
pserver             pserver 2.0.41a
server              server 2.0.41a
sserver             sserver 2.0.41a
ssh                 ssh 2.0.41a
sspi                sspi 2.0.41a

So, it looks like the sspi protocol should be available.

Does anyone know why we keep getting the error "cvs server: Access denied looking up C:/Data/cvsrepo - results may not be correct"

--Scott
Scott D. Whitney  ScottWhitney_at_DesignMentor.com