[cvsnt] CVSNT with non wincvs client

Mike Wake mike.wake at thales-tts.com
Tue Aug 31 19:10:21 BST 2004

Heya Mark,

Take a look at http://www.cvsnt.org/wiki/CvsntAdvantages.
CVSNT blows vanilla cvs away.

Tortoise is designed for and infact uses cvsnt as its client.  I prefer
WinCVS as a client since apart from coding I roll up releases, take care
of major branching and tagging and like to use WinCVS's "Flat Mode"
feature.  Other Day to Day developers like the convienence, integration
with explorer and simplicity of Tortoise.  It doesn't hurt to have both
installed and use either as you see fit.

I have not used eclipse but it has a reputation for misbehaving wrt to
CVSNT.  Special measures have been put in place to make it possible to
get eclipse to think that it is talking to a vanilla cvs server even
though the underlying server is cvsnt.  Configuring the server in this
way may potentially impact on the features available to your smarter
clients like WinCVS and Tortoise (Not Sure About This).  Others who
actually use eclipse might be able to tell you what functionality is
missing.

Cheers
Mikew