[cvsnt] Alternative to Network Shares?

John Peacock jpeacock at rowman.com
Fri Dec 3 19:42:56 GMT 2004

Luckey, Dave wrote:

> I have seen many e-mails that say I should not set the server to local,
> is this true?  Also, the only benefit that I really gain is by using the
> windows synch capability.  I have not heard of rsync?

No, I didn't mean use the local: protocol, but rather run the server
locally (and connect by whatever protocol you want) and store your
repository on your notebook.  I don't trust the Windows sync feature.

Do a Google search for rsync, which is an originally Unix-based program
for performing smart replication of files and directories (only
transmits changed bytes).  To run it under Win32 normally requires the
Cygwin distribution (which gains you lots of Unix-y tools for Win32,
too).  However, you can also check this out:

	http://opensource.se/projects/rsync-bc/

which is a cut down version of rsync that only does the backup
functionality (NOTE: I haven't tried this, but I can agree that rsync is
very powerful and I have personally nuked files when I didn't do the
right thing).

John