[cvsnt] Alternative to Network Shares?

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Fri Dec 3 20:19:45 GMT 2004

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:24:52 -0700, "Luckey, Dave"
<dave.luckey at lmco.com> wrote:

>I have seen many e-mails that say I should not set the server to local,
>is this true?  Also, the only benefit that I really gain is by using the
>windows synch capability.  I have not heard of rsync?

I would do this if I were you:

1. Install CVSNT as a service on your own laptop

2. When you are about to depart to your destination, then copy your
server module to your laptop server (I don't mena the sandbox, I mean
the repository module).

3. To make sure noone else works on your module you can rename it on
the server too...

4. Check out the module from your laptop server to your laptop as a
sandbox (yes, use full client/server mode, not local mode!)

5. Edit to your hearts delight and commit restore branch etc while on
the airplane.

6. Once back in the office, copy over your laptop repository to the
server and file away the old renamed module.

7. Delete the checked out sandbox from your laptop server and check
out from your server instead, or use the WinCvs CHANGEROOT macro to
change the server.

That's about it. And it will not require any offline folders or
network shares or the like. But one prerequisite is that you are
really the *only* developer using this module!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)