[cvsnt] Re: Problems using CVSMailer Tag

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Mon Dec 6 17:29:40 GMT 2004

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:58:15 -0700, Glen Starrett <grstarrett at cox.net>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Can you verify what happens if you downgrade to 2.0.51? I don't have
>> this version available to me anywhere.
>
>You probably know this already, but all the older versions are available
>at http://www.cvsnt.org/archive/ .

Tried to reply to this from work but it did not show up...
Anyway,
I know about the archives but I did not want to use it to debug this
myself because:
1) My test server is already at 2.0.58 and Tony has mentioned in a
recent answer to something else that when 2.0.58 starts it
reconfigures the repository if it finds it is an old version that
created it. Don't know what this means bu I feel it is not a valid
test. But I have done it nonetheless.

2) My live home server where I keep all of my own opensource work is
2.0.38 and works fine so I don't want to touch it.

TEST
But I did download the 2.0.51d binaries and put them into the folder
that the 2.0.58 installer created. I actually moved away all of the
2.0.58 files and copied in the files from the downloaded binary
zipfile. But when I tried to start cvs following this it did not
succeed, I got a message saying "the service could not be started".
It seems like the cvs service is running nonetheless so I tried to tag
a module hierarchy using this semi-installation of 2.0.51d.
The result is that the tag email also in this case is OK both with
CVSMailer versions 1.5.1.32 and 1.5.1.34.

SUMMARY
As far as I can see CVSNT 2.0.58d *IS* sending crap data to the
taginfo script on STDIN for tagging operations.
And this flakey behaviour is not there for versions 2.0.51d and below.

Tony, please have a look at this!

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)