[cvsnt] WinCVS/CVSNT and Windows XP Service Pack 2

Pamela J Vermeer vermeerp at iastate.edu
Mon Dec 6 18:47:36 GMT 2004

Hi,

I saw a post at the end of October asking about how to get CVS working
after installing service pack 2.  I was merrily connecting to my remote
repository through WinCVS until this morning, when I installed SP2. Now I
just can't get anything to happen with respect to CVS.

I've tried turning off the firewall, adding WinCVS and cvs.exe to the
firewall exceptions, specifying a port to allow the firewall to use, all to
no avail.  I can connect to the machine my remote repository is on via ssh
in a cygwin window.  But I cannot get CVS to work from the Cygwin command
line either.  I copied the command to checkout a module which was generated
by WinCVS and pasted it into the Cygwin window, and then I got the
following error message:

$ cvs -z9 -d ext;username=MyUsername;hostname=MyHostIP:/var/lib/cvsrepo
checkout -P MyModule
Usage: cvs [cvs-options] command [command-options-and-arguments]
   where cvs-options are -q, -n, etc.
     (specify --help-options for a list of options)
   where command is add, admin, etc.
     (specify --help-commands for a list of commands
      or --help-synonyms for a list of command synonyms)
   where command-options-and-arguments depend on the specific command
     (specify -H followed by a command name for command-specific help)
   Specify --help to receive this message

The Concurrent Versions System (CVS) is a tool for version control.
For CVS updates and additional information, see
     the CVSNT home page at http://www.cvsnt.org/
bash: checkout: command not found

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pam