Fork? (was RE: [cvsnt] crash in 2.0.58d, ideas about save crashdump feature)

Czarnowski, Aric aczarnowski at unimax.com
Wed Dec 8 15:29:07 GMT 2004

Tony wrote regarding configurable crash dumps:
> That's unfair - I implemented such a scheme a while
> back, and it works well.

If there was an implementation of configurable crash dump behavior I
don't know about it.  Was that announced here?  If I could configure how
crash dumps are handled it would be a strong incentive for me to
upgrade.

Personally, I'd like to setup a timestamped dump file with any messages
timestamped and written to a log file in the same directory even if the
message is the same as the dialog's generic one.  I too dislike dialogs
popping given that CVSNT as a server is a service.

With timestamped dump files and freed server processes I'd at least have
a better idea of how often this happens and a consistent server PC
state.  At this point most developers don't call me to report a problem,
^C their client shell and move on leaving the server with a temp
directory and a dialog.  That situation is pretty much an anti-feature.
When the heck did THIS dialog pop?

I know that getting crash dumps to you Tony is important and you want to
see them but I can only give you things you have already seen at this
point because of our intermittent crash behavior and our lazy CVS users
(they never remember to trace root level commits no matter how many
times I ask).

--Aric

Aric Czarnowski
Unimax Systems Corporation