[cvsnt] Re: Repository on removable drive, used by servers different machines

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Thu Dec 9 23:20:33 GMT 2004

Luckey, Dave wrote:
> I was under the impression that using local was a big No No.  I thought
> it could possibly corrupt files and leave dangling locked files?  Is
> this true?

If the drive is on a networked drive then yes.  Local drives should be
fine, assuming you're the only one using it.

AFAIK the trouble happens when you get one or more people using :local:
over a network link -- Sometimes the network can cause file truncation
or corruption.  It's rare, but it is better to be a little paranoid than
risk loosing the entire history of some of your source files!!  CVSNT
uses a lot of small file write / rename in quick succession that (I
think!) stresses a network link more than a 'typical' application would.

--
Glen Starrett