[cvsnt] Catch-all solution for changing -k modes?

Oliver Giesen ogware at gmx.net
Fri Dec 10 09:09:49 GMT 2004

I'm about to write a WinCvs macro for changing the -k mode of selected
files. I want this macro to work both with older and newer CVS/NT
client and server versions. AFAIHU the procedure for doing this has
changed somewhere in between 2.0.51 and 2.0.58 :

Where before I would have done this:

cvs admin -k[whatever] filename
cvs update filename
(the latter is only to get the new mode displayed, i.e. into the
Entries file)

I would now have to do this (if I understood correctly):

cvs update -k[whatever] filename
cvs commit -f -m"changed k-mode" filename

Is that correct?

Is there maybe some other way that would work both with GNU CVS/older
CVSNT releases and the newer CVSNT? If there isn't, how would I detect
which kind I'm dealing with (I'd rather not hardcode a check against
cvs version output)?

Cheers,

--
Oliver