[cvsnt] Re: Checkout tag extremely slow

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at telia.com
Sun Dec 12 12:59:09 GMT 2004

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 11:21:45 +0000, Tony Hoyle <tmh at nodomain.org>
wrote:

>Bo Berglund wrote:
>> Seems to me to be about 0% useful and so it strikes me as unnecessary
>> to even scan something to build the file.
>
>It's been that way since AFAIK cvs 1.9 or something like that...
>
>> If cvs is also scanning the *whole* repository to build this list then
>> it looks like a bug to me too...
>
>It's also done this forever... it's pretty rare that it actually happens
>(since it is modified automatically by tag and rtag).
>
>Changing that behaviour is low priority as it's always worked like that
>- there isn't an easy way before the rewrite as it's builtin to the core
>code.
>
>Tony

Just curious:
What is val-tags file really used for?
If it is to check if a particular tag actually exists *somewhere* in
the repository so an error message can be *immediately* sent back and
the operation aborted, I would understand it.
But right now all it provides is a list of tags used somewhere with no
indication on where, so all module files must anyways be checked for
the requested tag individually if a checkout is made by tag.
Seems weird to me and also rather unuseful.

/Bo
(Bo Berglund, developer in Sweden)