[cvsnt] Re: Question regarding SetACL cmd script for resetting CVSNT file permissions in Windows

Glen Starrett grstarrett at cox.net
Mon Dec 13 05:47:26 GMT 2004

Gerhard Fiedler wrote:
>>The script needs to be simplified somewhat too, since the CVS ACL
>>commands are even more robust and powerful now.
>

> Is it safe enough to only use the cvsnt ACL commands for the repository? I
> remember that previous documentation stated that a combination of Windows
> ACL and cvsnt ACL was considered necessary. (Considering that access to
> this computer is secured, and only possible through cvsnt.)

I'd imagine it depends on how you are going to manage your users to CVS
and your needs.  By default, you'll be allowing everyone who can connect
to the machine to access your CVSNT repository.  In my server, I have a
NT group that users have to join before they have any access to CVSNT --
but that complicates the use of ViewCVS slightly (in the setup).

You can also set up a default setting on your repository that denies
access to anyone you don't want in there, it's just another possible way
to manage your setup.

I'd set it up a couple ways and test it out in your organization.  Know
that the simpler the better in general is the best way, so I'd recommend
looking at the pure CVSNT approach if that would be practical for your
organization.

Regards,

--
Glen Starrett