[cvsnt] Re: cvs update does not descend into subdirectories with different CVSROOT

Bo Berglund Bo.Berglund at system3r.se
Mon Dec 13 16:40:32 GMT 2004

I use this technique also in place of the modules and modules2 files.
But this is on the same server with different repositories and we use
sspi authentication. THe fact that the files come from different
repositories on our server is what causes the need for separate checkouts
of modules to subdirectories.

Right now my server is 2.0.41 and the client is 2.0.41a

I have noted behaviour that I cannot explain, but basically some
cvs commands actually do decend through the hierarchy and use the
root found there and some don't. So it is not a refusal on the part
of cvs to do this always, only some commands do not work.

I know (by memory, no check today) that cvs *tag* does in fact run down
into the subfolders, but I think I recall cvs *update*  is having problems.

This means that it is possible to create a branch tag from top that
is applied on all subfolders no matter from which repository, but then
I cannot update to this branch because the update does not traverse the
folders...
So I have to update on individual folders instead.

Very strange.

/Bo